If you have a GoPro, network camera, or other media device that can stream video over the network with the RTMP/RTMPS protocol, it can be used with StreamYard!
We'll be using MonaServer for the RTMP server, and OBS for the virtual camera.
Note: This tutorial is technically advanced, and not recommended for average users.
This tutorial is for Windows; MacOS has another similar application to MonaServer available here.
Installing the software:
- Download, install, and launch OBS (this will require a computer restart). If asked to specify what you want to use OBS for, choose "I will only be using the virtual camera."
- Download a MonaServer binary, and extract the .zip once it's downloaded (right click->"Extract all"->Extract).
- You should now have these files, double click on the "MonaServer" application to start it.
A window like this should come up shortly after:
- Next, find the IPv4 address of your computer, and write it down/save it somewhere. This is what you'll be connecting to on the camera.
For this tutorial, we'll be using 192.168.50.66, but make sure to use yours when setting this up.
- Decide on a stream key for your device. These should be unique (if you'll be setting up multiple cameras), but can be any word (no spaces/symbols).
For this tutorial, we'll be using "mystream", but make sure to use yours when setting this up.
Setting up the camera:
For other cameras/devices/apps, refer to the manufacturer's website for instructions.
For GoPro cameras, the steps are given here, under "Live Streaming Using an RTMP URL":
- Open the GoPro app and tap on the camera icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Tap on the blue button in the center of the screen: Control Your GoPro.
- Scroll through the icons on the bottom of the screen, and tap on Live.
- Now tap on Set Up Live.
- A new screen appears with a list of streaming platforms. Tap RTMP.
- Another screen appears to set up live stream. At the top, choose to connect a Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your RTMP url in the 2nd field (eg: rtmp://ipaddress/live/streamkey). It should look similar to this: rtmp://192.168.50.66/live/mystream (substituting your IP address and stream key.)
- Tap "Set up live stream" to finish the configuration.
- Tap "Go Live" to start streaming to MonaServer
Setting up the software and StreamYard:
Your camera should now be streaming to MonaServer, and it should show various info text like this:
- Start up OBS if it isn't already running.
- In the "Sources" section, click the + icon, and select "Media Source"
- Deselect "Local File", and in the "Input" field, enter rtmp://localhost:1935/live/mystream (substituting "mystream" for your stream key).
- Click "Ok", and you should see the feed from your camera in OBS's main window.
- Click "Start Virtual Camera" on the right side of OBS to start the virtual camera
- Open up a StreamYard studio (create a new one, or enter an old one to test)
- Click "Cam/Mic" (either on the pre-studio screen, or once in the studio), click the "Camera" tab, and change your camera to "OBS Virtual Camera"
Note: If "OBS Virtual Camera" isn't showing up as an option, make sure to restart your computer after having installed OBS