You can connect to an existing Facebook event by adding it as a custom RTMP destination in StreamYard. To connect to an event, you must be a host/co-host of the event.
How to connect an event
- Create your event from the Events page on Facebook.
- Enter your title, date, and time. You can also upload your cover photo here.
- Choose Virtual under "Is it in person or virtual?" and then choose Facebook Live.
- Set the privacy accordingly, and add any details, co-hosts, etc... that you want! Then click Create event.
- Click Set up live video at the top right of the event page.
- Choose Streaming Software at the top to display the RTMP information.
- Click Advanced settings, and enable Persistent Stream Key
Persistent Stream Key allows you to re-use the same RTMP information if you go live to the same event multiple times.
(Optional, but recommended) Enable "Go live automatically at scheduled start time" at the top left of the page.
Without this enabled, you would need to go back to this Facebook page and manually click Go live now at the bottom left to start the stream, after going live in StreamYard to begin the event.
- Click Save changes at the bottom left of the page, then click Set Up Live Video on your event again to go back to the RTMP information.
If the video source defaulted back to Webcam, choose "Streaming Software" again.
- In a new browser tab, head to the StreamYard "Add a destination" page, and choose Custom RTMP.
- Copy the "Server URL" from Facebook to the "RTMP Server URL" field in StreamYard, and the "Stream Key" from Facebook to the "Stream key" field in StreamYard.
The Nickname can be whatever you'd like, and is only shown in StreamYard.
- Click Add RTMP server, and your Event destination is good to go!
- When ready to go live, create a live stream in StreamYard, choose the Event RTMP destination, and click Go Live in the top right.
If you didn't enable "Go live automatically at scheduled start time" earlier, you'll also need to head back to the event's live video page, and click Go Live now at the bottom left of the page.
Why can't I see a viewer count or comments from my RTMP stream to my Facebook Event?
When streaming via RTMP to Facebook, it is not possible to receive comments or see your viewer count in the studio.
Why is StreamYard is saying it is having trouble streaming to my event?
It may be possible the RTMP details were entered incorrectly, or don't match the event. Double check your RTMP destination's info to make sure the details match.