Hopin is an online events platform where you can create engaging virtual events that connect people around the globe. It's an all-in-one, live online events platform that allows organizers to create, host and manage live events with up to 100,000 attendees. Hopin's web based virtual venue connects distributed communities, companies, and friends with live video, chat and networking features. Attendees can learn, interact, and connect with people from anywhere in the world.
StreamYard is the studio you will use to stream to your Hopin Event! StreamYard allows you to increase the production value of your events, and is the easiest way to feature live speakers/panelists. StreamYard now has a built-in Hopin integration, and chat messages from the Hopin stage will show up in StreamYard.
Notes: It's not currently possible to send chat messages from StreamYard to the Hopin stage chat. Hopin Stage Comments do flow to the StreamYard Studio here you can click to display them onscreen.
The StreamYard giveaway tool is supported for Hopin Stages, but not sessions.
When streaming to Hopin, we recommend adding a 10 second countdown timer/"waiting screen" at the beginning of broadcasts, as in some cases, a few seconds of the broadcast is cut off before starting.
How to Stream to a Hopin Stage:
After creating your event on Hopin, click Generate RTMP setup on the Overview Page.
Copy your stream key & RTMPS url.
- Head over to your StreamYard Home page and click Create a Broadcast > Add > Hopin
- Paste your stream key and RTMPS URL from Hopin.
Now your Hopin Main Stage destination is connected and you are ready to go live! You can now invite your speakers/guests or add your graphics in the Brand folder to get ready for the event.
How to stream to a Hopin Session:
Hopin Sessions are not currently supported natively as a destination, but they can be streamed to using custom RTMP.
Setting up the RTMP Stream
- Open the Hopin event Dashboard
- Navigate to Venue > Sessions
- Create a new session by clicking the blue Add Session button or click Edit to set up RTMP within an existing session
- Find the RTMP settings section and click the checkbox Enable RTMP Streaming
- In the next option box, select No Mirror since you are broadcasting directly from StreamYard into the session. Then hit Save.
Note: If you'd like to copy/mirror an ongoing stream from the Stage or another Session, select Stage or Session as well as the name of the Stage or Session. Detailed instructions on how to mirror here.
- Once the session is saved, click the Sessions tab of the event dashboard to find your list of sessions. You will now find a column containing the RTMP details of the session you just saved.
- Click the RTMP Details to retrieve the RTMP URL and Stream Key.
Note: The first and preferred is the main RTMP server in place. Should any issues arise when connected to the preferred server, we recommend switching to the fallback provider.
- Copy the Stream Key and RTMP URL
Connecting the RTMP to StreamYard
In order to stream to custom RTMP sources, you will need to be subscribed to the Basic StreamYard plan (or better). Pricing and more details about StreamYard can be found here.
Once you are logged in to your StreamYard account, you will need to click on "Destinations" and then on "Add a Destination", as shown below:
You'll be taken to the add Destinations page. To set up your Hopin Session as a destination, click on "Custom RTMP Server", as seen below:
Paste the RTMP server URL and Stream key specific to your Session. Then give your destination a name.
Now that we have added a Hopin Session as a destination, we can choose it as a destination when creating a new broadcast. Pick the Hopin Session for the destination and then click create broadcast:
You will be prompted to share your audio/video devices, and then be taken into the StreamYard Studio where you can Go Live!
Remember, there is roughly a 10-second delay between the source stream and the session.
Important things to note:
When RTMP is not live, Sessions can be used like any other session. Once RTMP is live:
- You can have a maximum of 10 people on screen
- You will not be able to share your screen, Miro, Figma, YouTube, etc.
- If your session is recorded, the RTMP stream will not be included in the recording. It will, however, be recorded in StreamYard and show up in your Past Broadcasts.
- The RTMP stream can only be stopped from the StreamYard studio, not from within the Session in Hopin.
- RTMP cannot be used in Expo Sessions
- Attendees will not be able to view RTMP stream in Sessions on the mobile app