Screen sharing is an awesome way to present a slideshow or show a website. You can share images, Powerpoints, Keynotes, PDFs, and more. Both you and your guests can share a screen.
Screen sharing works best when you have two monitors. Two monitors make it easy to click from slide to slide while you’re still controlling the live stream or recording on the other monitor.
At this time, screen sharing is not supported on mobile devices (tablet, iPads, phones etc).
How to Screen Share
- In the studio, click Present, then Share screen at the bottom of the page. Your guests have this option as well.
- If a list of screen sharing tips appears, click the blue Share Screen button.
- A popup will appear with three options:
- Your Entire Screen: Shares your entire desktop screen
- Application Window: Lets you choose one application at a time; great for sharing a PowerPoint or keynote.
- Chrome Tab: Lets you share a website, or ANY file from your computer. To share a file, open a new Chrome tab and drag and drop a file into the new tab. Then share the tab in StreamYard. See screen sharing a video with audio below for an example.
- Click Share, and your screen will be added to your show. Use the layout buttons under the screen to change how the screen appears alongside you and your guests.
If you have the Automatically add shared screens/videos to stream setting turned on, your screen will be automatically added to the stream, and not just put backstage.
Screen sharing a video file with audio
We don't recommend screen sharing a video, because the screen sharing feature isn't optimized for it. Instead, we recommend sharing it using the video sharing feature.
If you'd still like to screen share a video, here are the steps:
- Open a new Chrome tab.
- Drag and drop a video file from your computer to the new Chrome tab. Your cursor should show a + symbol when dragging the file into Chrome.
- In StreamYard, click Present.
- If a list of tips appears, click the blue Share Screen button.
- In the popup, choose Chrome Tab, check Share audio, and select the Chrome tab with your video file.
To share audio from your screen you MUST check the “Share audio” box. Screen sharing with audio is only supported when sharing Chrome tabs.