Don't have a green screen behind you? Try the virtual backgrounds feature!
Have a green screen or blue screen? You can replace it with a virtual background! In your StreamYard studio, click the “cam/mic” settings button, open the “Virtual background” tab, and check "I have a green screen". Don’t have a green screen? You can pick one up on Amazon.
Here’s some tips to ensure the best possible experience:
- Lighting is essential. Make sure your backdrop is uniformly lit. You want it to be a similar shade of green in all places. Using multiple light sources can help. Try to eliminate folds and shadows. Investing in a decent green screen will make a big difference. Green screens usually work better than blue.
- Don’t wear clothes that are the same color as your backdrop. The more contrast the better.
- Use a powerful computer. The green screen feature uses your graphics processor (GPU). It can run on almost all devices, but it works best on powerful devices.
- Sources for royalty free background images: Pexels, Pixabay, Unsplash.
Configure your browser
If the green screen feature isn’t working for you, you may need to change your browser settings.
You’ll need a graphics processor (GPU) to use the green screen feature. Most, but not all, devices have some kind of GPU. But even if you have a GPU, your browser settings may prevent StreamYard from accessing it. If you have a GPU, but the green screen feature isn’t working, try following the steps below.
- Open your Chrome settings by clicking the 3 dots in the top right corner.
- On the left, click the "System" tab.
- Ensure hardware acceleration is on. If this was off, then turning it on may be all you need. Try it again on StreamYard. If it works, you can stop here.
- Open a new Chrome tab. Type “chrome://flags” in the address bar and hit enter.
- Enable the “Override software rendering list” option. It’s usually near the top of the list.
- Try it again on StreamYard. If it’s still not working, but you’re sure you have a GPU, then there may be other browser settings you need to change. Contact us if you need help.
The green screen feature only works on Chrome right now. We’ll update this page if support for other browsers is added.