To ensure the highest level of privacy for our users, StreamYard generally will only produce or confirm the existence of information for a specific user or identifier in response to a valid subpoena or legal order. In certain limited circumstances involving imminent serious bodily harm or death, StreamYard also may voluntarily disclose user data to law enforcement authorities on an expedited basis.
For more information on how we accept and respond to user data requests, please see below. For details on Emergency Disclosure Requests, please click here.
B. Request Requirements
- Please note that all legal process must:
- Be assembled in the complete form as issued by the court or competent authority;
- Be dated and signed by an attorney or government official (as required by the authorizing law) or by a judge;
- Be addressed to StreamYard, Inc.;
- Be provided in PDF format (if delivered electronically
- Identify the Hopin platform(s) for which data is requested (e.g. Streamable, StreamYard, Superwave) and one or more of the following:
- user and cannot process requests based on a user’s given name or phone number);
- the email address of the platform user in question; or
- other identifying information as may be required;
- date limitations for your request (StreamYard will only produce certain basic subscriber information in response to vague requests for “any and all” records for a particular identifier or user);
- Specify the requested response timeframe (StreamYard requires at least 20 business days for processing); and
- Include the following contact information:
- the requesting agency name;
- the requesting agent’s name and associated badge/ID #;
- the requesting agent's official, agency-issued email address and phone#; and
- the requesting agent's mailing address (P.O. boxes not accepted)
C. Available Information Types
Depending on the type of formal legal process provided, StreamYard may be able to provide one or more of the following types of data:
- Basic user information, which may include email address(es), date and time of account creation, billing information, address and phone number(s);
- IP logs, which may include IP address and dates of account log-ins
- User content, which may include invitations, messages and connections (StreamYard is only able to provide this content with a valid search warrant from an entity with proper jurisdiction, and cannot respond to overly broad or vague requests)
NOTE: StreamYard may not retain a copy of information from a user’s profile page once that information has been updated or deleted by the user. Additionally, upon user request, StreamYard will delete or de-personalize account information in accordance with our general account deletion practices.
D. Notifying Users
It is StreamYard’s policy to notify a user when we respond to legal process from a third party requesting that user’s data, except in certain limited circumstances, including for example: where providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order or by applicable law; or where, we, in our sole discretion, believe (a) that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death to an identifiable individual or group of individuals, or (b) that the case involves potential harm to minors. When a request is accompanied by a judicially-signed non-disclosure order, StreamYard will not notify the user before producing the data, unless the order is overturned or expires on its own terms. Non-disclosure orders should be as narrow in scope and duration as circumstances permit. If a request for data implicates an ongoing violation of our Terms of Service, we may take action to prevent any further abuse in order to protect our systems and other StreamYard users, including actions that could notify the user that we are aware of his or her misconduct.
StreamYard may seek reimbursement for costs associated with responding to law enforcement requests for information, as permitted by law under 18 U.S.C. § 2706 and may charge additional fees for costs incurred in responding to unusual or burdensome requests.
F. Service of Criminal Requests for Data
All law enforcement requests in criminal matters may be served on us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Receipt of legal process by this means is for convenience only and does not cause us to waive any objections, including lack of jurisdiction or proper service, or improper process where mutual legal assistance requests would otherwise be required.
G. Preservation Requests
In response to valid preservation request made by law enforcement authorities in connection with a criminal matter, we will preserve a one-time snapshot of then-existing account records for 90 days, pending service of formal legal process, which may be renewed for an additional 90-day period. Preservation Requests must:
- Identify the account(s) in question;
- Identify the investigating agency and/or specific pending official proceedings, preferably on law enforcement letterhead;
- Include assurances that the requesting agency or individual is taking steps to obtain appropriate legal process for access to the data that StreamYard is being asked to retain; and
- Include a valid return email address (only valid law enforcement domains will be accepted).