The StreamYard Guest app for iOS is designed to provide the best possible experience for guests using a mobile device. The app is available for guests using iOS 15 and above.
Click here to download it on the App Store!
Note: The app is currently for guests only. If you are a host, you must use the browser version of StreamYard.
Entering the studio on the StreamYard Guest app
- From your phone, click to join the link the host sent you. This will automatically open the app, if you have it downloaded. If you don't, you can download it here, and copy and paste the link to join.
- Next, allow StreamYard access to your device's microphone and camera.
- Make sure your camera is working. You can switch between your front or back camera, and enter your display name and headline.
- As shown above, you can tap on the three dots to access more settings. Set or upload your audio avatar, select a different microphone, and set your camera's zoom settings.
- Next, click Enter studio.
- You are now backstage in the studio! Wait for the host to add you to the stage so that you can be featured in the stream. Have a great show!
Navigating the studio in the StreamYard Guest App
You can use the StreamYard guest app in portrait mode or landscape mode.
Tap the comments icon to access the viewer comments from the destinations the host is streaming to. You can only view comments here. Commenting as a guest is only available on StreamYard's browser version.
Tap the chat icon to access the studio's private chat to communicate via messaging with other people inside the studio. The Greenroom chat can be accessed here as well if the host is using this feature.
Select the circular icon to view your local recording progress if this feature was enabled by the host.
Mute and unmute your microphone by tapping on the microphone icon in the bar below the stage. Similarly, you can turn on and off your camera by tapping on the camera icon here.
Tap on the three dots in the menu below to:
- Edit your name and headline
- Upload and select your audio avatar
- Select the microphone you'd like to use.
- Configure your camera settings. This includes switching between your device's front and back camera and choosing your desired zoom if the back camera is being used
When you are ready to leave the studio, simply tap on the X icon.
Limitations of the Mobile App
The iOS native guest app is a great way for guests to join a studio from their mobile devices who may not have access to a desktop. However, there are some limitations which can be found below:
- Currently, Guest destinations and posting comments as guests will not work. These features are coming soon.
- The Greenroom can be accessed by guests, however, hosts on the web version of StreamYard are unable to video call guests in the app currently. We recommend having your guest join the studio using a browser for video calls in the Greenroom, but you can still use the Greenroom chat to message them.
- External microphones only work with Bluetooth headphones. Support for external microphones with iPhone speakers (including echo cancellation) will be coming soon.
- Screen sharing is not currently supported within the app.
- Audio processing features such as background noise removal and echo cancellation do not apply to guests using the app.
- The touch-up filter feature is not currently supported in the app, but is coming soon!
- Virtual backgrounds and the green screen feature are not supported in the app.
- It is not possible for a guest to mirror their camera while using the app.
Does the app work on iPhones, iPads and iPods?
Yes! The app is available for iPhones, iPads and iPods running iOS 15 and above.
Is there a mobile app for Android mobile devices?
No, not at this time.
Can I use an external microphone or headphones when using the app?
Yes! External microphones that are compatible with iOS can be used within the StreamYard Guest App.
Why don't I see the brand tab or other host controls when I join in the app?
The first version of the StreamYard Guest app is for guests only at this time. The host version of the app is coming soon. If you are a host, you must join the studio from a browser.
Does the app still work if I minimize it while streaming or recording?
Yes! You will still be in the studio if you move away from the app, however, your camera will automatically be turned off until you reopen the app. You will also still be able to hear what is happening on stage, but you won't be able to see it, as that is not supported at this time.
What happens if my device goes to sleep?
Your camera will be turned off automatically, but you will still be on stage with audio only.
Can I add a guest destination while in the StreamYard Guest app?
Not at this time. You can go to StreamYard in the browser if you'd like to connect a Guest Destination.
Can I require my guests to authenticate with Facebook or YouTube before they join the studio via the app?
Yes. Guest authentication is available for guests who join the studio via the app as well.
I accidentally denied the app access to my mic and camera. How can I fix this?
Go to Settings > Locate and tap on StreamYard in your apps list > Slide the toggles on for Microphone and Camera.
Does the app have a light mode?
Not at this time. The app is currently only available in the default dark mode.
I'd like to suggest features for the app or provide feedback.
Thank you! We really appreciate feedback from our customers. There is an option to submit feedback on the home screen of the app at the top. Tap on the 'Give feedback' button and then select the option of your choice. If you need assistance, we recommend reaching out to our support team by navigating to https://streamyard.com/contact.
Can I rejoin a studio I was just in?
Yes! If you want to rejoin a studio you were in before, tap in the "Paste a studio link" field and select the name of the studio from the list. The last 5 studios that you joined will be shown here.
My guest left the studio before their local recording finished uploading, what do we do?
No worries! Your guest just needs to open the app again and join the same studio!
What do I need to join a studio?
Paste the studio link that the host sent you. It looks like this https://streamyard.com/jexample29t. You can also paste the ID for the studio that you want to in instead of the entire link. Example Instead of pasting https://streamyard.com/jexample29t you can just paste jexample29t in the field.