If your device is not very powerful, or is using a lot of processing power, the Virtual Background feature can cause flickering or in some cases, turn completely black. Here's how to solve this issue.
Background not working/slow?
The virtual background feature requires hardware acceleration enabled in your browser.
This is usually enabled by default, but if it's not, it can be easily enabled in Chrome's settings.
- To enable hardware acceleration in Chrome, click the 3 dots at the top right of Chrome, and click "Settings".
- Search "hardware"
- Enable "Use hardware acceleration when available", and restart Chrome if asked.
Have a real green screen behind you? Try the green screen feature instead!
If your device is not very powerful, or is using a lot of processing power, the Virtual Background feature can cause flickering or in some cases, turn completely black. This issue only affects Windows computers using Chrome or Edge. Here's how to solve this issue.
Adjust ANGLE graphics backend
- In a new Chrome (or any Chromium browser such as Edge, Vivaldi, or Opera) tab, enter chrome://flags/#use-angle into the URL bar and click enter.
- Under “Choose ANGLE graphics backend” change the selection from “default” to either “OpenGL” or “D3D9”.
- Click “Relaunch” to reboot Chrome.
Then enter your StreamYard studio to try again!
Adjust camera resolution in StreamYard settings
If you are currently live and cannot relaunch your browser, adjusting your camera resolution under Settings > Camera in the StreamYard studio can fix the issue. We recommend lowering the resolution.